Dealing with Depression

I have suffered from depression since 1998. I deal with it in many ways, devotions, exercise, mud runs, vitamins, medications, counseling, and whatever seems right at the time. I am one of those people who is willing to try what comes down the pike.

Let me back up. I had a big second boy, 11 lbs, 11 oz, naturally, which led to a few complications. We survived that, but the stress of the birth and the blood loss led to problems. While I was fighting my doc to avoid a transfusion, G needed to be fed every 75 minutes because we found out later he had BWS (Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome), not to mention my oldest son was an active toddler. I was not able to drive for a month, among other issues. I had an amazing support network! They helped me through the moments where I couldn’t physically care for my child.

What caused further problems was my parents’ divorce in the fall of 1998. My first thought was 43 years of marriage!  You are giving it all up now? I was devastated and made contact with a counselor. Occasionally sharing my thoughts continues to be a large and effective part of dealing with depression.

Then the national scandal hit. Two weeks before, Chad and I had just returned from a week in St. Louis, MO, where our son had major surgery.  I was also pregnant with my third child, so I was in protection mode. While I thought my dad received a bum rap, my job was to protect my unborn baby through this tragedy. I hunkered down, and MK emerged, alive, but with complications, a ripped hole in her lung, pneumonia, and a non-life threatening genetic disorder. The clan rallied round, and we moved forward and loved the new member of our clan.

I’m not sure if any or all of these events caused my depression, but I do know that life is full of challenges for all of us. Embracing these challenges and making them my own was the most effective way for me to tackle depression.  If you suffer from depression, be proactive.  Educate yourself!  Which activities, vitamins, and medications help?  Which hinder?  Most important, know that you are not alone.

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “Dealing with Depression

• Gary Leigh says:

It depends on the cause of the depression.

For instance, long term shock / trauma will lead to clinical depression, in which case, the Bach Flower Remedy, Star of Bethlehem will cure it. (I do mean cure.)

Mustard if you are feeling drained and exhausted and depressed because of it.

Aspen if you are suffering from anxiety.

Rock Rose if you have panic attacks.

There are a number of causes. I do cover them in my blog, though it is a work in progress. Feel free to contact me directly if you want specific help.

• maggiemurphy says:

I will check it out! I am always trying to educate myself and learn for new ways to help myself and others. Thanks! 🙂

1. Caren Addleman Ismail says:

My dear friend, Maggie. You have been through hell and back. You have had trials and tribulations to test your faith, your health, and your strength. Now you are left with three beautiful and healthy children, a blessed marriage, and a close family. You have much to be thankful for , as I’m sure you know, and much more to look forward to. Only think about the good things in your life and all the things that you continue to teach your children to be successful in the future. Whenever you feel down look at someone that is worse off than you and you will feel better. This life is a test. It will never be picture perfect. We have all been greatly tested throughout our life as well as all those that have come before us. If I get down I take a piece of paper and write all the things that I am thankful for and realize that its not as bad as I think. Enjoy the outdoors as you know its a great healer. Let go of the past and concentrate on the present and the future. Smile and be happy again, don’t give anyone the permission to take away your happiness and find peace and calm in your prayers. Love, Your friend, Caren.

• maggiemurphy says:

Thank you, friend. I shared this because I know there are many people who suffer from similar issues. I hope my story will help them.

2. Carrie says:

My husband has depression and anxiety and as an outsider/carer/wife It’s hard to cope with when he is having a bad flare up, but It’s good to know there is always light at the end of the tunnel and people are not hiding it away anymore. Great entry thanks for sharing!

• maggiemurphy says:

Thanks Carrie! Glad we could meet up on Twitter. I look forward to getting to know each other better 🙂

• maggiemurphy says:

Thanks Sharon! I posted this to try and help others. Hopefully, it will reach someone who needs the encouragement.

3. Hannah Sterry says:

I’ve struggled with depression too. Antidepressants didn’t help me, but changing my life and situation (once I was strong enough) did. Winter’s always the hardest for me, but I get through it with music and a lot of hugs.