That pesky muse must have headed south this winter because lately, I’ve struggled to come up with blog topics. Not only writing: Music, exercise, and winter projects remain elusive. On the bright side, I’m still sober (20 months now-huzzah!) but lack motivation for much besides the basics of living.
Life currently feels like a political (no) fun run through Mordor. Many of us watched at least one relationship deteriorate over the past four years. Personally, several friends have cut off all contact. Some of you may even have current relationships “on the brink.” You don’t have to live this way.
You don’t have to live this way.
Hear me out! I’ve watched people on both sides transform a passion for politics into an unhealthy obsession. Some ask, “Do you know what’s at stake?!” Yes, I do-the inability to enjoy life and possible loss of your inner circle.
Any of the following sound familiar?
- You think of politics first thing in the morning.
- You struggle to discuss topics other than politics.
- You struggle to engage those with whom you disagree (even if you refrain from politics).
- You “doom scroll” social media on a daily basis.
What can you do?
- Devote non-political time each day: Reading, exercise, meditation…What used to bring joy?
- Limit time on social media.
- Keep engaging in political discourse, but devote time to other topics.
And most important…
- Focus on what’s within your power. The rest is just negative chaos that ends up hurting you and the ones you love.
Focus on what’s within your power.
The current political climate generates anger and concern, but I refuse to let chaos live “rent free” in my head or destroy my inner circle-neither should you. This small circle of folks wants to be part of your life (warts and all) and will remain when the political junkie tribe is long gone.
Thanks for reading!